What is shotcrete?
Shotcrete is concrete or mortar conveyed through a hose and pneumatically projected at high velocity onto a surface used in construction of concrete pools, lining tunnels and structural repairs.
What is Gunite?
Guniteis a mixture of cement, sand, and water applied through a pressure pipe or hose.It produces a dense hard layer of concrete used in building for concrete pools, lining tunnels and structural repairs.
Major Difference between Shotcrete andGunite
Although both processes look very much alike, however, there is one major difference between both which is essential to mention for determination of the better method.
|Shotcrete refers to wet concrete that’s already fully mixed before its shot hose.||Gunite is dry concrete mix that only mixes with water at the nozzle when it’s sprayed.|
|1. Extremely useful in repair and reconstructions works.|
2. Diversified usage as it can be applied to horizontal and vertical surfaces.
3. It can be used without the need of labor thus labor cost is eliminated.
4. Minimizes encasement.
5. The use of shotcrete-sprayed concrete in construction activities makes the structure less porous which increases the bond strength and also helps in lowering the construction time and reduces costs as well.
6. Layer of Shotcrete will be very firm if pneumatic pressure is applied.
|1. With this method the wastage of material is high thus overall finish can be unpolished etc.|
2. Even though there is less labor but there is some labor required but the labor should be highly skilled.
3. The polishing and finishing with this method is a complex process and is usually high in errors.
4. This method requires an operator , hence the outcome is totally dependent on the operator
5. Original ling is more durable than shotcrete.
6. The construction cost is higher than using a traditional concrete with same amount of proportions.
|1. Pools of Gunite have more flexibility in the aspect of designs. Gunite pools are made on site , therefore the design opportunities are endless.|
2. Gunite pools are a popular choice for the people as it is more durable in warmer conditions and extreme climates. Professionals agree that Gunite pools are the most popular choice in family households .
3. Offers availability in any size or shape.
|1. This method is time consuming as minimum 2 months are required to construct a Gunite pool from scratch because the concrete takes time to deform as it is made onsite.|
2. Gunite pools has high maintenance cost. Every 10-15 years a plaster finish is done as
3. Gunite pools require the maximum of water filters.
Shotcrete or Gunite – Which is better?
Many people ask that between gunite vs shotcrete which is better? This question has no right answer. You should see what works for you keeping in mind the circumstances (costs, maintenance, duralibility etc.). Also, if the contractor isn’t experienced enough, it can be his fault for any mishap as it’s not always about the concrete. So in this battle of concretes it’s you who decides who win.